SAVE THE DATE FEB. 25-27 2018
Get expert advice from presentations that will help you grow your business!
- Restaurant Leaders' panel
- Doing business beyond your walls panel
- Distributors' panel
- 4 ways to beat the labour shortage
- Menu Labelling in Ontario
- 10 ways to succeed on social media
- and much more!
Discover the secret to Lidia Bastianich's enormous success, as she shares her journey from chef/restaurant operator to author, new product developer and grocery store retailer in a keynote address on Monday at 1 pm.
Watch the Restaurant Innovation competition, presented by Frankie Tomatto, honour the people and companies who employ creativity and business-savvy to develop exciting new products and services.
RC Show and Eatables present:
"Big Night" movie and dinner with Lidia Bastianich followed by dinner at Terroni Adelaide Sunday Feb 26
Main Stage talk about her journey from chef and restaurant operator to author to new product developer and partner in Eataly Mon Feb 27
Main Stage Event Schedule
10:30 AM - The 4th Annual Restaurant Innovation Competition presented by Frankie Tomatto’s
Teams from the hospitality industry will pitch their business ideas to a panel of celebrity judges. They’ll be competing to win $6,000 in prize money, mentoring opportunities, and bragging rights! Cheer them on as great ideas are showcased and reputations are created.
Celebrity judges are:
- Rosanna Caira, Publisher, Foodservice & Hospitality
- Peter Shier, President, Naked Creative
- Neil Vosburgh, Founder, Imago Restaurants
- Terry Secord, President, North Coast Restaurants
- Scott Bellhouse, President, Profile Hospitality
12:00 - Silver Chef presents The State of the Coffee Industry
Presentation of the Coffee Report
Industry Experts Dan McCloskey and Jan Anderson of Premium Quality Consulting uncover the key trends of the coffee industry and what you can expect in the future.
Topics being discussed:
- Maintaining relevance in the 2017 world of coffee
- Millennial impact on the coffee industry
- Awareness of and action on issues of sustainability
12:30 - Silver Chef presents Hospitality growth secrets
Industry experts discuss the latest trends in the hospitality industry. Unlock tips and tricks to help keep your business relevant and at the leading edge of the industry.
Moderated by Kristian Thanas
- Dan McCloskey, Premium Quality Consulting (Coffee industry trends)
- Jan Anderson, Premium Quality Consulting (Coffee industry trends)
- Shaemas Lal, Silver Chef (Diversity in funding for your business)
1:00 PM - Navigating the New Media Landscape
How to create enticing stories about your brand that get noticed, and master every appearance, whether it's TV, radio, print or online.
- Learn how to craft an impactful story pitch
- Get the media's attention
- Prepare for a TV or radio appearance
- Take control of a live, on-camera demo
- Understand how editors and producers assess potential stories
2:00 PM - Business beyond your walls
Panel discussion moderated by Sean Beckingham of Branding and Buzzing on how to expand your business outside your restaurant walls by harnessing the power of online ordering, cross-promotions, product development, pop-ups and more. Featuring Maeve Gallagher, Community Organizer Airbnb; Dan Park, General Manager Uber Everything.
3:00 PM - Restaurants Canada presents a restaurants leaders' panel
Hospitality growth insights and trends from our expert panel featuring:
Bill Gregson, Cara
Paul Methot, Pizza Pizza
Mark Pacinda, Boston Pizza
Susan Senecal, A&W
Jacques Mignault, McDonald's Canada
4:00 PM - Re-engineering your workforce: 4 ways to beat the labour shortage
In this timely presentation, Philip Mondor offers practical solutions and tools to address your labour shortages. You'll hear about Canadian and global labour market trends and how they impact your business. Learn about what is being done to address these shortages, and how you can tailor those efforts to find the staff you need.
10:30 AM - A sense of place: Marketing your brand through storytelling
A conversation between Terroir's Arlene Stein and Chef Charlotte Langley. Terroir is a concept that speaks to a unique culinary identity through a lens of geography, history and culture. Traditionally associated with wine, the concept can be used metaphorically to share stories about our food culture that are intrinsically linked to a sense of place - creating an emotional investment from our customers. Arlene Stein has been curating food and beverage programs for 20 years giving people platforms to share their stories. Join us as she offers insights with Chef Charlotte Langley on how to shape your unique culinary identity through storytelling.
11:30 AM - Future of fish
Join a lively discussion on the future of fish, why sustainability is important, and why seafood is one of the hottest food items on the menu
12:15 PM - Win customers by greening your restaurant: See how Mario Batali shows the way
Michael Oshman, Founder and CEO of Green Restaurant Association
Learn the winning recipe to greening your restaurant while improving the traditional bottom line, attracting new customers, and winning the loyalty of your staff. Hear and see what going green means to Mario Batali and how they greened their restaurants around the United States. Mario will be narrating a tour of his Certified Green Restaurant®.
1:00 PM - Lidia Bastianich: Her Journey
Discover the secret to Lidia Bastianich's enormous success, as she shares her journey from chef/restaurant operator to author, new product developer and grocery store retailer. After her talk, she’ll be signing copies of her well-known book, Mastering the Art of Italian Cuisine. Presented by S. Pellegrino.
2:00 PM - Phone Eats First: 10 Ways to Succeed on Social Media
Food Marketing Agency president Sean Beckingham and his panel will guide you through everything you need to know about making waves on social media today. Expert panel includes:
- Brandie Kelly, Restaurant Industry Lead, Facebook
- Nate Middleton, Owner, Home of the Brave
- Joey Salmingo, Host, Off the Menu
3:00 PM - Jamie and Joshna: Two chefs, one chat
A conversation between Jamie Kennedy and Joshna Maharaj.
4:00 PM - What's on the menu with Ontario's menu labelling legislation
Join a panel of experts who will share their expertise on the issue with best practices. Panellists include:
- Lucia Weiler, Registered Dietician (moderator)
- James Rilett, Vice President, Ontario, Restaurants Canada
- Karen Williams, Senior Director of Health, Wellness and Environmental Sustainability, Aramark Canada
- Katie Jessop, Registered Dietician and Sports Nutritionist
- K.B. Bose, SVP Marketing and Culinary, Shoeless Joe's
10:30 AM - Distributor panel
Canadian distributors share their story, new trends and discuss the future of distribution in Canada.
- Lynn Siegal, Sr. Account Manager/Specialty Buyer - Hilite Fine Foods
- Dennis Hrytzak, Executive VP - Stewart Foodservice
- Stephen Kampstra, VP Canada Broadline Distribution - Gordon Food Service
- Paul Keery, COO, Flanagan Foodservice
- Tim Cameron, President, Sysco Toronto
11:30 AM - Building Loyalty
Top 10 things you can do to keep them coming back. Presenters will share their insights and expertise in a lively discussion that can help boost your bottom line. Hear from:
- Carolina Avaria, Concierge for Intercontinental and President of Clef d'Or Canada
- Jimmy duDomaine, Marketing Manager for Keg Restaurants
12:30 PM - Canada's 100 Best Restaurants Magazine
Ever wonder what it takes to make Canada's 100 Best Restaurants list? Here's your chance to find out. Editor-in-Chief Jacob Richler and a panel of star guest chefs discuss getting on the list and what it means to be on it. There may even be a big reveal from the 2017 list.
1:15 PM - Chef Talk
Round table discussion with some of the best chefs in Canada.
2:00 PM - Fuelling Women Champions
Become inspired by our esteemed panel of women who have achieved great success and are setting examples for other women. Panellists include:
- Elyse Lambert, Brand Ambassador, Coffee Sommelier. 2015 winner of Best Sommelier of Canada and Top 5 Sommeliers in the world representing Canada in 2016
- Natalie Spooner, Canadian ice hockey player, Olympic champion 2014, 2014 CWHL Clarkson Cup Champion, Amazing Race finalist
- Lulu Cohen-Farnell, Founder and Chief Brand & Food Innovation Officer, Real Food for Real Kids
3:00 PM - RC Product Innovation Award
Restaurants Canada announces the innovation award for best product