Mon, April 10 - Wed, April 12, 2023
Enercare Centre, Toronto & VIRTUAL
Over $10,000 in cash & prizes up for grabs
Restaurants Canada and Garland Canada continue their commitment to Canada's thriving and passionate culinary community by showcasing its top emerging talent at the annual Garland Canada Culinary Competition. This year's event will include a virtual and live component, where competitors will have to prove their skills and creativity in front of a panel of esteemed judges. Each round will challenge chefs to craft a dish that reflects the theme of 'Revival' and strike a balance between profitability, quality and sustainability.
The competition's diversity and inclusion mandate will continue to hold 50% of the competitor space for women and prioritize the showcase of BIPOC talent.
Tuesday, May 10 - 12:30pm-3:45pm ET - Culinary Stage
- Round 1 - Culinary schools across Canada will review applications and choose the semi-finalists.
- Round 2 - The semi-finalists will invite a panel of three judges into their home kitchens (virtually) and share a 45 minute culinary demonstration, which creatively reflects the theme and incorporates the black box ingredients and pantry list. Judges will select the final four to move forward.
- Round 3 - The finalists will travel to the RC Show in Toronto and partake in the live competition on May 10, 2022. They will compete head-to-head in a timed cooking demo. Winners will be chosen and announced at the competition on the culinary stage.
- 1st Place - $5,000 and KitchenAid Commercial Stand Mixer or Blender
- 2nd Place - $3,000
- 3rd Place - $1,500
- Runner-Up - $500
- Fan Favourite - $500
- Have a minimum of 3-4 years of experience working in a professional kitchen
- Be living and working in Canada
- Be 19 years of age or older
- Be available to compete virtually on one day between January 17-28, 2022
- Be available to travel to Toronto to compete in the live competition on May 10, 2022
- Not be a decorated, recognized, multiple culinary competition winner or TV personality chef
- Not be a previous winner or judge of The Garland Culinary Competition
Applications will include contact information, resume, references, headshots and photos, 50-100 word written application and a 1-3 minute video.
Application submissions will be reviewed and judged by a panel of culinary experts from the top culinary schools in Canada. Restaurants Canada and Garland Canada will not be involved in any of the judging.
Applications are now closed - thank you for your interest
Vote for Your Fan Favourite
All semi-finalists will be entered for a chance to win a 'Fan Favourite' prize of $500. Short videos of each competitor's virtual culinary demonstration will be posted on the Restaurants Canada Instagram page (@RestaurantsCanada). The video with the most likes at the end of the voting period will be crowned Fan Favourite!
Voting begins on April 25 and close on May 9, 2022 at 5pm ET.
Chef Julie Marteleira
Executive Chef, Leña
Chef John Higgins
Director, Enterprise Leadership Centre for Hospitality & Culinary Arts Ambassador, George Brown College
Chef Billy Alexander
Director of Programs, Culinary Tourism Alliance
Chef Laura Petracca
Chef de Cuisine, Leña
1st Place + Fan Favourite
Chef de Cuisine, La Palma & Casa La Palma
Chef de Cuisine, Quaaout Lodge & Spa
Chef & Owner, Naagan
Sous Chef, Caffe Un Po Di Piu
Executive Chef, O&B Canteen & Luma
Executive Chef, Hopyard & Sugar Skull Cantina
Mark Lee Basombrio
Executive Chef, Oregon Bar à Vin
Head Chef, TORA
Executive Chef, Brindleberry Catering & Events
Jose Nerie Roca
Second Cook, Redrock Camp
WITH SUPPORT FROM
BLACKBOX CHALLENGE SUPPORT FROM
CULINARY SCHOOL PARTNERS
*Due to the change in RC Show dates, the Garland Canada Culinary Competition is moving forward with 10 semi-finalists, as outlined in the rules and regulations.