OVER $10,000 IN CASH & PRIZES UP FOR GRABS
Restaurants Canada and Garland Canada continue their commitment to Canada's thriving and passionate culinary community by showcasing its top emerging talent at the annual Garland Canada Culinary Competition. Competitors will have to prove their skills and creativity in front of a panel of esteemed judges in both a virtual and in-person round of competition. In each of these rounds, we will challenge chefs to craft a dish that reflects the 2023 RC Show theme - Heart & Hustle. By connecting their dish back to the memories and the passion it ignites and sharing with us what inspired them to choose this industry.
The competition’s diversity and inclusion mandate holds space for 50% of the competitors to be women and prioritizes BIPOC culinary talent.
Applications are now closed for 2023
2023 Competition Details
Tuesday, April 11, 11:00am-3:00pm - Culinary Stage
- Round 1 - Culinary schools across Canada will review applications and choose the semi-finalists.
- Round 2 - The semi-finalists will invite a panel of three judges into their home kitchens (virtually) and share a 45-minute culinary demonstration, which creatively reflects the theme and incorporates the black box ingredients and pantry list. Judges will select the final four to move forward.
- Round 3 - The finalists will travel to the RC Show in Toronto and partake in the live competition on April 11, 2023. They will compete head-to-head in a timed cooking demo. Winners will be chosen and announced at the competition on the culinary stage.
- 1st Place - $5,000
- 2nd Place - $3,000
- 3rd Place - $1,500
- Runner-Up - $500
- Fan Favourite - $500
*Plus top-tier culinary gear from our sponsors
- Have a minimum of 3-4 years of experience working in a professional kitchen.
- Be living and working in Canada.
- Be 19 years of age or older.
- Complete application in full, by deadline, to be considered valid
- Be available to compete virtually on one day between February 27 and March 10, 2023
- Be available to travel to Toronto to compete in the live competition, should they be selected, which will take place on April 11, 2023
- Be willing to work with any ingredients assigned, including meat, dairy and seafood products
- Not be a decorated, recognized, multiple culinary competition winner or TV personality chef
- Not be a previous winner or judge of The Garland Canada Culinary Competition
Applications will include contact information, resume, references, headshots and photos of you working in the kitchen, 50-100 word written application and a 1-3 minute video.
Application submissions will be reviewed and judged by a panel of culinary experts from the top culinary schools in Canada. Restaurants Canada and Garland Canada will not be involved in any of the judging.
Applications are now closed. Thank you for your interest!
Vote for Your Fan Favourite
In addition to competing for the chance to advance to the finals, the 12 semi-finalist will be entered for a chance to win the ‘Fan Favourite’ prize of $500. The winner of this category will be determined through voting on the Restaurants Canada Instagram page (@restaurantscanada). Short videos of each of the competitors’ virtual demonstration will be uploaded to Instagram and the competitor with the most likes at the end of the voting period will be named Fan Favourite!
Wow Catering Hospitality
Hopyard & Abbicco Modern Italian
Prince Edward Island
The Abibiman Project
The Summit Golf & Country Club
CHARCUT Roast House
The Inn at Bay Fortune
Prince Edward Island
WITH SUPPORT FROM
BLACKBOX CHALLENGE SUPPORT FROM
CULINARY SCHOOL PARTNERS