Feb. 27 - Mar. 1, 2022
Enercare Centre, Toronto
Compete for a chance to win $10,000 in cash & prizes
Restaurants Canada and Garland Canada continue their commitment to Canada's thriving culinary community by showcasing its top emerging talent at the annual Garland Canada Culinary Competition. This year's event will include both a virtual and live component, where competitors will have to prove their skills and creativity in front of a panel of esteemed judges. Each round will challenge chefs to craft a dish that reflects the 2022 theme of 'Revival' and strike a balance between profitability, quality and sustainability.
The competition's diversity and inclusion mandate will continue to hold 50% of the competitor space for women and BIPOC talent.
Application Deadline: November 28, 2021 at 11:59PM EST
- Part 1 - Culinary schools across Canada will review applications and choose the top 12 finalists.
- Part 2 - The Top 12 finalists will invite a panel of three judges into their home kitchens (virtually) and share a 45 minute culinary demonstration, which creatively reflects the theme and incorporates the black box ingredients and pantry list. Judges will select the Top 4 to move forward.
- Part 3 - The Top 4 finalists will travel to the RC Show in Toronto and partake in the live competition on March 1, 2021. They will compete head-to-head in a timed cooking demo. Winners will be chosen and announced at the competition on the culinary stage.
- First Place - $5,000
- Second Place - $3,000
- Third Place - $1,500
- Fan Favourite - $500
- Have a minimum of 3-4 years of experience working in a professional kitchen
- Be living and working in Canada
- Be 19 years of age or older
- Be available to compete virtually on one day between January 17-28
- Be available to travel to Toronto to compete in the live competition on March 1
- Be fully vaccinated by February 25, 2022 as per the latest Ontario and Federal guidelines (this means you have received your second dose 14 days prior to February 25, 2022)
- Not be a decorated, recognized, multiple culinary competition winner or TV personality chef
- Not be a previous winner or judge of The Garland Culinary Competition
Applications will include contact information, resume, references, headshots and photos, 50-100 word written application and a 1-3 minute video.
Application submissions will be reviewed and judged by a panel of culinary experts from the top culinary schools in Canada. Restaurants Canada and Garland Canada will not be involved in any of the judging.
Vote for Your Fan Favourite
The top 12 finalists will be entered for a chance to win a 'Fan Favourite' prize of $500. Short videos of each competitor's virtual culinary demonstration will be posted on the Restaurants Canada instagram page (@RestaurantsCanada). The video with the most likes at the end of the voting period will be crowned Fan Favourite!
WITH SUPPORT FROM