Mon, April 10 - Wed, April 12, 2023
Enercare Centre, Toronto & VIRTUAL
Presented by Dairy Farmers of Canada
Dairy Farmers of Canada are proud to sponsor the National Barista Championship Qualifiers and the Canadian Cup Tasters Competition.
The Dairy Farmers of Canada is a farmer-funded and farmer-run organization (not a government body), and represents the interests of the hard-working men and women on almost 12,000 Canadian dairy farms. Indirectly, they also stand with the over 221,000 extended members of the dairy farmer community and workforce from coast to coast.
National Barista Championship Qualifiers
May 9-10, 2022 - 10:00AM-5:00PM ET
Canada’s most talented baristas will showcase their skills, innovative practices and their amazing coffee for a chance to win top prizes and move on to fulfil their aspirations of representing Canada at the 2022 World Barista Championship at the Melbourne International Coffee Expo (MICE).
- 14 Competitors for each of the two qualifier competitions (Q1 held at RC Show)
- 6 competitors from each qualifier plus two wild card competitors will move on to compete at the National Championships
- Competitors have 15 minutes to prepare and serve espressos, milk-based and original signature beverages to four sensory judges, all while being assessed on their preparation abilities by two technical judges.
- Judges will evaluate competitors using the World Barista Championship Rules & Regulations to award points for taste, beverage presentation, technical skills, and a total impression.
Canadian Cup Tasters Competition
May 11, 2022 - 10:00AM-4:00PM ET
The Cup Tasters Championship awards the professional coffee cupper who demonstrates speed, skill and accuracy in distinguishing the taste differences in specialty coffees. The winner will proceed to the World Cup Tasters Championship at the SCA World of Coffee trade show in Warsaw, Poland from June 16-18, 2022, representing Canada on the global coffee stage.
Coffees of the world have many distinct taste characteristics and in this competition the objective is for the cupper to discriminate between the different coffees.
- 50 competitors will test their sensory skills by discerning taste differences in a “triangulation.”
- The competitor with the ability to taste, smell, concentrate, and recall; with the most correct answers in the shortest amount of time, wins.
- The World Cup Tasters Rules & Regulations will be adhered to during this competition.
Canadian National Barista Championships
1st Place: Nelson Phu (Rosso Coffee - Calgary, AB)
2nd Place: Ben Put (Monogram Coffee - Calgary, AB)
3rd Place: Rambert Sin (Mountain Coffee - Toronto, ON)
4th Place: Gaya LIou (Back Road Motor Coffee - Mississauga, ON)
5th Place: Kunie Inaba (Harken Coffee - Vancouver, BC)
6th Place: Conor Conway (Epoch Chemistry - Moncton, NB)
Canadian Cup Tasters Championship
1st Place: Paprik Liu (Phil & Sebastian - Calgary, AB)
2nd Place: Giuliano De Vito (Subtext Coffee - Toronto, ON)
3rd Place: Felix Cha (De Mello Coffee - Toronto, ON)